If you are looking for an Eco-friendly alternative to the traditional way of building houses, then consider shipping container houses. They are way cheaper and very easy to assemble.
You have probably seen hundreds of shipping containers piled up one over the other at your nearest dock.
Many have found these containers can withstand heavy loads without losing shape. They are very portable; however, You must have complete plans at your disposal before you start the project.
Here are 5 pointers to help you make your choice.
1. Consider a 20-foot container home, if you are short of space. These containers are available in standard sizes of 20 X 8 feet. If you want a bigger house, make use of 40 X 8 feet containers.
2. A 20-foot container will provide around 160 sq. ft. of indoor space. Space doubles when you use 40 X 8 ft containers.
3. The cost of a shipping container will vary as per usage. If you use a one-use container, it will probably cost you in the range of $7,000 to $8,000. Shipping containers used to carry loads accross the seas are usually much cheaper and will be available anywhere between $1,500 to $3,500.
4. Affordability is a major factor when deciding on your container house. Some prefer to assemble a home in the wild made of just one container. Water is stored in bins. Solar energy is used to generate electricity.
5. Art Deco homes are the latest to enter the shipping container arena. Use your imagination and creativity to build the home of your dreams. All you have to understand is how to implement new designs into a structured plan that already exists.